Studies / Demonstrator Projects
DSI-AS has participated in several cryptography/security-related studies:
- "Galileo 2nd Generation Space Segement - Phase A/B1" (ESA/OHB)
DSI-AS is currently taking part in the phase A/B1 Galileo space segment second generation study
- "SAT-AIS Data Protection Concept" (ESA)
Fundamental study on the security aspects of the European satellite-based Automated Identification System (SAT-AIS). The main goal of the study is to analyse the threats on the AIS data and on the system and to compare the different potential security countermeasures, selecting a final security solution
- "GMES End-to-End Data Security Concepts" (ESA)
DSI-AS performed ground network data security threat and countermeasures analysis, simulation-based study of the impact of deploying HTTPS/TLS or IPSEC in the ground network and a security concepts/countermeasures implementation issues analysis
- "Efficient Firmware Implementation of Crypto Algorithms"
(German Federal Bureau for Information Security, BSI)
Comparing AES to other proprietary encryption algorithms. This covers optimization with respect to e.g. throughput or chip area for different devices and different crypto modes
- "Flysafe precursor data security concept study" (ESA)
DSI-AS undertook the data security threat and countermeasures analysis, and a simulation-based study of the impact of deploying HTTPS/TLS or IPSEC in the ground network.
- "TM/TC System Security Design Study" in cooperation with OHB (ESA)
DSI-AS carried out the threat and countermeasures analysis, study of countermeasure performance and the establishment of the data security concept
- "Advanced Data Handling Computer" (ESA)
Data Handling and Storage System including data compression, based on Virtex-II Pro FPGAs plus PowerPC based advanced processing system. DSI-AS provided the respective EGSE
- "High-Rate Downlink Encryption for Earth Observation Platforms" (ESA)
Fundamental study on cryptographic systems for earth-observation satellites, providing alternatives to the existing telecommand authentication scheme
- "Satellite Swarm Sensor Network" (S3NET) (H2020, European Commission)
DSI-AS will apply its knowhow towards developing the architecture and requirements of a benchmark system regarding payload processing and communication in swarm missions including fractionated sensors http://s3net-h2020.eu
- "Remote Airborne Platform with Satellite Oversight DependencY"
(RAPSODY) (ARTES, ESA)
DSI-AS develops the encryption hardware needed for the safe and secure transmission of sensor data https://artes-apps.esa.int/projects/rapsody
- "High-Performance ManyCore Rad-Hard DSP for Computation-Intensive Space Applications"
(MacSpace) (FP7, European Commission)
DSI-AS implemented the ManyCore DSP approach in a prototype system including the core chip (first stage FPGA, second stage prototype) plus an emulation of a typical environment (source data emulation, access to a typical space mass memory and sink data emulation) http://www.macspace.eu
- "Quick Image Interpretation System" (QI2S) (FP7, European Commission)
DSI-AS developed the demonstrator system including the multi-core processor plus developing an emulation of the satellite operational environment (imager emulation, mass memory and downlink emulation)
- "Cryptographic Processor for Control of Telecom Processing Payloads" (ARTES, ESA)
Analysis, design and implementation of a Cryptographic Processor for the Control of Telecommunications Payloads. The resulting compact hardware is based on FPGAs including all the cryptographic functions. ESA Development Project / Design Study (Breadboard delivered)